• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

transcriptionist interested in getting certified

ritaw

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
CCO Practicoder
Hello. I'm a 15+ year radiology transcriptionist who is interested in getting certified. I currently work in a free-standing radiology clinic. While I don't have any coding experience I'm fairly certain that if I ask I could arrange some hours working/shadowing with our coders on the job to get some experience.

My question is...will the cco.us class teach me everything I know to pass the test? or do I need to have prior experience? or take some pre-requisites before tackling this?

Assuming I'm working FT and studying PT, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it takes to get through the class before taking the test? 6 months? a year? I know it depends on a lot of different factors, I'm just looking for a very general idea.

thanks so much for any help.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Good for you! We have had a lot of students who were transcriptionist. Seems to just go together. I like to always ask how many WPM you can type.

We teach you how to code, use the manuals AND pass the exam. Then we like to keep you around afterwards and help you with your CEUs. It is like once we have you we don't want to let you go. :)

Time wise, almost all my students work full time. Four months is the average. Some can get done sooner depending on experience. The first five chapters are slow but they go faster after that. I would say with your experience you will most likely move a little faster. Terms are going to come easier for you even if you don't realize you know them. Now, if you need more time though we give you access for a year. Life happens.

Here is a link:
CCO Products

ritaw

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
CCO Practicoder
thanks so much for the information! I'm very excited to be starting this direction.